Children’s ear diseases are not common; thus, parents often do not pay attention to them. However, in fact, a number of ear diseases can result in serious complications if they are not promptly treated. Therefore, parents should have some methods to take care of their children who suffer from ear diseases.
External otitis/ Otitis externa
- Be careful when bathing children; do not let water run into their painful ears.
- Do not let children soak or swim in the water until the outer ear infection is fully cured.
- Have your doctor prescribe ear drops, anti-infective or anti-inflammatory drugs for your children in order to clean the infection.
- Mothers should lay children still on one side while putting ear drops into their ears. Keep them stay still in a minute after that.
- To prevent this disease, mothers should restrict children from swimming in the artificial pools which contain a large amount of chlorine. Besides, do not scratch the ears or clean the ears too often as it will make the skin of the outer ear canal be swollen.
Otitis media (a middle ear infection)
- Otitis media makes children feel earache, so mothers should try to reduce pains by: applying hot packs to the infected ear. If they are still small babies, you should just apply a warm towel to the ear for safety.
- When the infected ear starts suppurating, do not swab or clean the ear. Just put a clean towel over the ear and let them lie on the side with the infected ear so that the pus can flow out.
- When you take your children to the hospital, doctors will let them take antibiotics to relieve the pain and push the pus out. If the pain remains, a small surgery has to be carried out to cure the infection.
- To prevent a middle ear infection, mothers should have children’s ears covered to keep them warm. When the children have got a cold, use menthol or mint ointment to relieve nasal congestion and limit the spread of infection to their ears.
- Do not freely buy antibiotics or ear drops to treat the baby yourselves. Instead, you should follow the instructions of the doctors.
- Clean the children’s ears with antiseptic solution according to doctor’s prescription every day.
- Do not let the water run into the baby’s ears when bathing.
- Do not use a cotton swab to strongly pressure into their ears in order to avoid scratches or damages inside their ears, which makes the infections more serious.
- To prevent ear suppurating as well as other ear diseases for children, parents should do as below:
- Children living in the environment with a lot of cigarette smoking will make their ears have more ear pus than other children. Therefore, fathers who smoke should try to quit smoking to ensure children’s health.
- When children have a runny nose, do not let them blow their noses by covering their nostrils. Instead, only cover one side and let the other side open to discharge the fluid from their nose.
- Children with sinusitis should be treated completely before allowed to swim.– Carry out adenoidectomy or tonsillectomy if children often get recurrent ear infections caused by measles, influenza and typhoid.
- Regularly take children to see the doctor for periodic health examinations to timely detect and treat ear diseases.
Preauricular sinus is a birth defect of children. In their ears, in front of the auricle there is a small hole which goes deep inside to stick to the cartilage. The fistula is lined by the epithelial that has a ability to secrete. Preauricular sinus is formed by an incomplete autosomal dominant pattern during the process of forming the outer ear.
- If the fistula in the children’s ears has infections, the children will be treated with appropriate antibiotics.
- After the infection is cleared, a surgery will be conducted to remove the fistula.
- In case the fistula has abscesses, treatment will be divided into two phases. In phase 1, the abscess is slit open to remove the pus and to take appropriate antibiotics at the same time. In phase 2, doctors will carry out a surgery to remove the entire fistula when it’s stable.
- Preauricular sinus is a birth defect of children; hence, parents can prevent infection by keeping children clean every day, and do not squeeze the fistula.
- Once noticing the fistula has fluid leaking out, and the surrounding area is swollen or children often scratch the fistula, parents should take children to the health facilities immediately in order to get treatment from the ENT specialists and avoid affecting children’s health and appearance.